The order for recruiting the Pennsylvania Seventy-seventh Regiment, provided for eight companies of infantry, and one of artillery. The artillery unit was recruited in Franklin County, in August 1861, by Captain Peter B. Housum; but not having the required strength, it was consolidated with one recruited for similar service in Erie County, by Captain Charles F. Muehler, and was mustered into service for a three-year enlistment at Pittsburgh, on October 11, 1861. Capt. Muehler was given command of the unit, until his resignation on November 16, 1862; he was replaced by Captain Alanson Stevens, on January 5, 1863. Stevens was the nephew, and former ward, of congressman Thaddeus Stevens.
The battery was attached to Negley‘s Brigade, McCook’s Command, Army of the Ohio, to December 1861. Artillery, 2nd Division, Army of the Ohio, to June 1862. Artillery, 5th Division, Army of the Ohio, to September 1862. Artillery, 5th Division, II Corps, Army of the Ohio, to November 1862. Artillery, 3rd Division, Left Wing, XIV Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to January 1863. Artillery, 3rd Division, XXI Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to October 1863. Artillery, 3rd Division, IV Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to April 1864. Artillery, 1st Division, 4th Corps, to July 1864. Artillery Brigade, IV Corps, to August 1865. Department of Texas to October 1865.
Battery “B”, Pennsylvania Light Artillery mustered out of service on October 12, 1865.