Design a site like this with
Get started

24 February 1863

Aquia Landing, Va.
February 24, 1863

My dear mother,

It is time I think that I wrote to you again though I have sent since I received from you. We have had a fine old snow storm here for the last three days but it is pleasant now again. It was the hardest storm there has been in Virginia for the last 3 years. But we of the North did not hardly feel it. We are in a quite comfortable camp now and will probably stay here for some time.

I heard from Wm. Edy this morning. He sent word to me and Ben that he was coming here as soon as he got his [discharge] papers. He sent word by Oscar Allen he was at Harpers Ferry. This was last week.

Well, Mother, I have not got that box yet but expect it every day and shall till it comes. Well, there is no news to write about so I shan’t write much. I forgot to tell you that I had been to see my old chum Johnny Mustart. ¹  He is tough and well. He is about 10 miles from here up the railroad. I can go there in half an hour.

Well, Mother, I forgot one thing when I sent after my box. I wanted a pair of mittens but forgot to speak of it. I wish you would send them in a package by mail and if it don’t cost too much, send them as soon as convenient. I would rather have buckskin gloves. Cowles will do them up for you.

There was one of our boys died last night—Otis M. Tanner. He was a good boy as I ever see. He died very sudden and I must go this morning and get him a coffin so I will close for this time. So goodbye. — Ed Whipple

P. S. Tell me what Sene is doing. — Ed

¹ John Mustart (1843-1863) was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and emigrated with his parents to the United States in 1857. He enlisted in the 23rd Illinois (Mulligan’s Irish Brigade) early in the war with Edwin and was wounded and taken prisoner in the First Battle of Lexington (Missouri). Once paroled, he returned to Athens, Pennsylvania, where he enlisted in Co. E, 141st Pennsylvania Volunteers in August 1862. He entered as a private and rose to the rank of First Sergeant. He was wounded in the arm and chest and left on the field at the Battle of Chancellorsville on 3 May 1863. Paroled by the Confederates who controlled the field after the battle, Sgt. Mustart was sent to Washington D. C. where he died on 23 May 1863.


%d bloggers like this: